Tuesday , February 20 2018
Home | 2018 | January | 18

Daily Archives: January 18, 2018

Lighter regulation is a route to more competition for Heathrow

SOURCE: Financial Times – ft.com From Deri Hughes, London, UK Sir Willie Walsh’s criticism of Heathrow and the Civil Aviation Authority in respect of the costs of using that airport carries some force. Heathrow exhibits traits that could be defined as monopolistic, and the airport’s economic regulation appears less stringent than is the case for, eg, the UK’s electricity grid. However, Mr Walsh’s analysis should not be regarded as definitive, and …

Read More »

Price of domestic UK flights could be reduced after Brexit as Ministers consider amendment to Air Passenger Duty

Ministers revealed that the price of flights within the United Kingdom could be reduced right after Brexit as part of possible changes that would be made to the Air Passenger Duty. At the moment, passengers that are flying in economy class originating from a UK airport on a short haul flight is charged £13 in APD. On internal flights, they also have to pay the same fee on the return …

Read More »

Norwegian to abolish a US route due to postponement of reduction of air taxes

Norwegian is set to abolish its flights to Bradley in Connecticut in March and reduce frequency on two other US routes after Ministers postponed a reduction in air taxes. Its flights from Edinburgh to Stewart as well as to Providence in Rhode Island, would also be cut down from daily to just four each week. An industry expert called the routes’ “load factors” as “poor” with the Providence route garnering …

Read More »

Jamaica: More consumer protection needed, says Director General of civil aviation regulator

Nari Williams-Singh, the Director General of the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority (JCAA), called for more protection for consumers when it comes to aviation services in their country. Recent complaints lodged by passengers of Fly Jamaica, who were stranded for days due to delayed flights, spurred the comments of Williams-Singh. The Director General revealed that his office has been discussing the matter with the Consumer Affairs Commissions since last year in …

Read More »

Ethiopian Airlines finalizes agreement with Zambia for relaunch of Zambia Airways

Ethiopian Airlines revealed that it has finalized a shareholders agreement with Zambia for the relaunching of Zambia Airways. The said agreement would see the Government of Zambia own majority of the shares at 55% while Ethiopian Airlines would get the remaining 45% stakes. Ethiopian Airlines Group CEO, Tewolde Gebremariam, said: “In line with our Vision 2025 multiple hubs strategy in Africa, we are delighted that the discussions with the Zambian …

Read More »

Argentina: Flybondi obtains Air Operator’s Certificate, prepares for launch

The Argentine Civil Aviation Authority recently announced that it has issued an Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) to Flybondi. With the certification process already finished, the emerging low-cost airline has already begun selling tickets with its proposed launch set on January 26. Flybondi would start with flights from Córdoba Int’l to each of Iguazu, San Carlos de Bariloche (starts January 27), and Mendoza (starts January 29). After those, flights from Mendoza …

Read More »