Aeroflot and Egypt Air have not been given permits by Russia’s Federal Air Transport Agency to operate flights between Moscow and Cairo.
This was revealed by the head of the aviation watchdog, Alexander Neradko.
“Not yet,” Neradko said when asked the question when the aviation service that was suspended back in October 2015 after the jet crash over the Sinai Peninsula would start up once again.
The media advisor to the Egyptian Ministry of Civil Aviation, Bassem Abdul Karim, initially announced that EgyptAir and Aeroflot had already received all the necessary permits for flights between Moscow and Cairo, which was supposedly going to start on February 1.
Russia’s Transport Minister Maxim Sokolov said last month that regular flights between Moscow and Cairo might commence in the middle of February.
Aeroflot holds plans to fly to the Cairo from the Moscow-based airport of Sheremetyevo twice a week. Egypt’s national carrier, EgyptAir, meanwhile, plans to operate three flights to the Russian capital via Domodedovo, another Moscow-based airport.
Russian President Vladimir Putin had signed a decree on the resumption of flights between Russia and Egypt on January 4. This was considered to be a significant development after a two-year-long pause on aviation operations between the two countries.
All flights between the two nations ceased back in November of 2015 after the tragic explosion of an A320 jet that belonged to the Russian carrier Metrojet, over the Sinai Peninsula on October 31, 2015.
The incident happened less than 30 minutes after takeoff from Sharm el-Sheikh international airport.
All 217 passengers and seven crew members on board perished during the tragedy.
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB), after an investigation, classified the incident as a terrorist attack. As a precondition for the resumption of flights, Russia called for the tightening up of security measures at Egyptian airports.